Tuesday 18 June 2013

Ajose’s opponent, Gesta withdraws from fight

Olusegun Ajose’s hope to move closer to a shot at the world title suffered a setback at the weekend after his opponent in the July 19 World Boxing Council (WBC) Lightweight contest Mercito Gesta withdrew from the fight on medical advice.
The Filipino, who is nick named ‘no mercy’ for his aggression in the ring said that he was forced to pull out of the fight following the ribs injury he suffered in sparring training on Friday but hopes to return stronger.
Gesta said on his Facebook “Due to an injury that I suffered today while training, doctors recommended that I cancel my fight on July 19th.
“I apologize to all my fans and supporters around the world. As I feel really disappointed now. I’ll get passed this and will be back stronger,”
However, some boxing pundits belief that the cancellation of the fight was a lucky break for the International Boxing Federation (IBF) number 10 contender, Gesta, who is not in his best shape to face Ajose.
“Olusegun is a very good fighter who gave Lucas Matthysse all he could handle last year in September before getting stopped in the 10th round.
“I think Gesta should see this as a sign that he needs to go in another direction. Olusegun is just too good for Gesta in my view and I always thought this was a bad match-up for Gesta as soon I heard about this fight.
“Olusegun is too advanced for him and much too active and strong. It would have been a mismatch with Olusegun giving Gesta a real pounding,’ said a pundit.
Gesta, 25, has not fought since losing a lopsided 12 round unanimous decision to IBF lightweight champion Miguel Vazquez last December in a fight where Gesta lost by the scores of 119-109, 118-110 and 117-111.

No comments:

Post a Comment