Sunday 23 June 2013

Nigerian WBO champion aims at world title


Sergeant Isaac Ekpo, the reigning World Boxing Organisation (WBO) African Super Middleweight Champion has vowed to fly Nigeria’s flag high at the world level.
The 31-year-old boxer successfully defended his title after defeating Ayitey Powers of Ghana in round 10 on June 8 in Cotonou.

The military officer, who won the title first in December 2012 by knocking out Said Mada of Algeria at the Eko Hotel and Suites, Lagos, boasted that he would claim the world title.
``My target is to fly the Nigerian flag high at the world level, I have not arrived yet, African title is the beginning; there are other heights to reach.
``I am still working very hard, I know there are battles to fight to get there but I am confident that with commitment to training and prayer I will get to the peak.
``I am set to make my country proud in the world of boxing,’’ Ekpo said.
Ekpo, who promised Nigerians that he would try to bring back the glorious days of Nigerian boxing, appealed to fans to pray for him.
He described the title fight as tough but said that experience and tactics made him defeat his opponent who came with many fans from London and in his home country.
``Ayitey Powers is five times African Champion, he is a professional fighter based in London, he boasted that he would rob me of the title.
``But I led in all the rounds which I did not believe. However, I give all glory to God and thanks to my manager, Anthony Kamal, who stood by me,’’ he said.
Ranked eighth in the world by the WBO, Ekpo has had 22 fights, losing one, won 21 of which 15 were by knock-outs and six by points decisions.

No comments:

Post a Comment